Out of all the industries out there, the construction industry certainly involves more operations and processes than the rest. But then again, there are numerous technological advancements that are happening; the demand for housing needs and construction development is on the rise and skilled labour is becoming more and more available too; all of this is adding to build a much more organized construction industry. However, with all that being said, there still is one small section that remains troubled which is the project management segment of the construction industry. This segment is one of the most important segments in construction industry, since project management synchronizes with other modules to timeline the activities.
Following are 10 reasons why project management is a core module for construction management software
- One of the many reasons that project management is an important to the construction industry is that the industry requires tremendous amount of planning, organizing and scheduling to keep the workflow going on. Without proper planning or scheduling of tasks, engineers would not be able to complete their tasks on time or perhaps within the budget assigned. Thus the modern interfaces of the project management modules help in organizing on the go.
- It is not just machinery, materials or men that directly deal with the construction industry, there is a lot more than that to it. Whether it is conceptualization of a project to the realization of it, management of resources to the effective planning of the activities; all of it comes under the category of project management.
- A major problem that is faced by the construction industries of today are time management. With the help of a project management module incorporated in the construction management software of the company, managing time and thus managing costs becomes a lot easier. Costs are directly related to the time spent on each activity during a construction project. Cost overruns can thus be eliminated with the help of construction project management software.
- A construction project requires a lot of planning before it can actually be executed. A construction project is to be complete under a specific budget, needs to maintain a high quality workmanship, requires taking sound decisions and demands team work for perfect outcome. All of this becomes possible only with the help of a quality project management software.
- Not only is scheduling and planning a vital part of everyday task management but plays an important role in managing the progress of a construction as well. A project management module becomes crucial in a construction ERP when it comes to systematically delegating tasks to the right people for the task to be completed at the right time. Construction project management modules offer WIP limits, estimates and charts to manage everyday tasks very easily.
- Directing is a very important part of a construction project and a project management module can help direct sub ordinates to perform the tasks and help you supervise or guide them as well.
- It is very important to review the work that takes place in a typical construction project and simultaneously requires you to take corrective measures is cases of faults too. Co-ordination and controlling is a crucial part of a construction company and can be managed by a project management module.
- Project planning, resource planning and financial planning are the initial stages of a construction project and is then followed by the management of resources and finances accordingly to execute the plan. Monitoring and controlling of such construction resources such as materials, labour and workforce is made simpler with the help of a project management software. You can get direct access to project data which makes it much transparent to monitor the processes efficiently.
- Procurement management is another process which requires procuring and ordering of materials as well as several services that and most importantly witching stipulated time frames which can only be well managed with the help of a project management module in an ERP software for construction.
- Finally, upon completion of a construction project, from identifying every last outstanding items, issues or risks to communicating the entire closure of the project to all parties can be well organized with the help of a project management software.
Project management pertaining to the construction industry has to comply with environment requirements, legal requirements, sustainability and insurance like factors too. However, the days of manual labour have passed and with the evolution of ERP software for construction and project management software, managing and monitoring projects in the construction sector is much simpler.